Saturday, August 30, 2014

Men and Women Apparel - Deuteronomy 22:5

Today' Concern: Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the Lord thy God.

I was raised believing that it was incorrect to wear pants. This is what my mother taught me. But having read the above I am now in a tug-of-war in my understanding.

I think it strange that this text is being literal. First, it comes out of nowhere and has no further explanation attached. Second, as time changes so does out clothing. I don't wear pants because my motner taught me that it is man's apparel and to her based on this text it is incorrect to wear it. However, as pointed out above times and fashion changes. From tv shows (which is my only reference to the past) both men and women the same if not similar apparel. And it is Scottish tradition to wear kilts which is something like a skirt. I think the text is more symbolic stating that both we should know or place in society. Nonetheless, I will be doing more reading on this. Wearing pants is more suited to my next phase in life, and can be viewed as a setback as I am at a disadvantage not being able to manuveur different terrain, and positions for photography in a skirt, long or short.

So I went googling and found these posts. They may help otheres. And though many sources were cited I have yet to be convinced of anything.

History & Deuteronomy 22:5 Part 1 and Part 2

My main, if not only concern, is what the clothing of the day was when Deuteronomy 22:5 was written. I think that point would be of extreme importance. In tv shows based on a time period that I assume is close to that time both men and women wore what I think are called bliaud, garments of a frock-like nature. If this is correct, what were their gender distinctions? And if their apparel were so close what is the problem with today's attire namely men and women pants being close.

With no context surrounding this next could it not also be that it was more symbolic of the male and female roles as in 1 Cor 11:3?

No comments:

Post a Comment